This beautiful church was built in 1745 as the church of Prince William Parish. It was burned by the British in May 1779. Rebuilt, it was burned again on January 14, 1865 by troops of General Oliver O. Howard, commanding Sherman's right wing coming out of Beaufort. The walls remain today. The soft evening light provided excellent illumination for this photograph.